The mission of the Syracuse University Institute for Security Policy and Law (SPL) is to educate and inspire the next generation of national security thought leaders and practitioners, through interdisciplinary research, teaching, public service, and policy analysis.
With a vision of positively impacting security policy and law throughout the world, SPL draws upon the unparalleled expertise of its faculty, staff, distinguished fellows, and collaborators in order to address key and evolving challenges in national and international security and to prepare the next generation of security practitioners.
- SPL will continue to place special emphasis on collaborating with national and international academic and practice-based institutes in order to advance common research and project goals.
- To meet its public service mission, SPL will conduct research, policy analysis, and other projects in consultation with government agencies, universities, private companies, and other entities that facilitate public service in security policy and law.
- Remaining agile and anticipatory, SPL will continue to account for the changing nature of global security and for developments in geopolitics in order to provide the most appropriate legal and policy advice.
- SPL’s faculty, staff, and associates will strive to deliver cutting-edge scholarship and a first-class, practically focused educational experience for students and professionals.
- SPL will promote innovative educational programs and student engagement in advanced coursework through its certificates of advanced studies and other graduate programs.
- Through structured guidance and support, SPL faculty, staff, fellows, and associates will advance student-based research and analytical proficiency.