The CAS in Security Studies is a 12-credit, interdisciplinary program for law and graduate students preparing for careers in national security, homeland security, cybersecurity, and counterterrorism.
Certificate students collaborate across a range of subjects, benefitting from faculty expertise in national, international, and homeland security; international law and atrocity law; military operations and defense strategy; counterterrorism law and policy; counter-proliferation; diplomacy and international relations; mass communication; cybersecurity and cyberespionage; conflict and postconflict studies; and more. Alumni form an extended, active, and influential network, boosting SPL’s reputation as a “go to” organization for shaping discourse on security challenges and for training the next generation of scholars and practitioners. Students also can join the Syracuse University Institute for Security Policy and Law-supported National Security Student Association.
Who Can Apply?
The CAS in Security Studies is available to matriculated SU law and graduate students. Interested students are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to visit the SPL office during the spring semester of their first year to register for the certificate and to discuss a course plan with staff.
How Do I Apply?
- Interested students should first consult with their Faculty Advisor who will determine whether the student can pursue the CAS in Security Studies, consistent with the requirements of his/her degree program.
- Students then must complete the Graduate School Internal Admission Application Form, signed by the students’ department representative. This application should be submitted to the SPL office during the fall semester of the student’s first year in his or her graduate program.
- Students also must fill out a Proposed Program of Study Form and submit it to the SPL office.
- The Professional Profile Form helps us connect you with our professional network. Please fill this form out and submit it to the SPL office.
If you require more information, contact the SPL office at SPL@syr.edu or 315.443.2284.
How Do I Receive the Certificate?
- Law and graduate students must file a diploma request form on MySlice (and update their addresses). Filing on MySlice activates the certification process and awarding of a degree. Click here for more information.
- You will be reminded by SPL in February/March of your final year to complete the Diploma Request Form and to submit your Final Program of Study Form.
- Projects or courses otherwise not listed may qualify for credit subject to approval by the Program Director. To petition to have non-listed study qualify for the CAS, complete a Waiver Petition Form and submit it to the SPL office.
- The Program Director will recommend granting the CAS in Security Studies to students who have met all of the requirements and who are in good standing.
What Are the Requirements?
- Students must complete 12 credits (six from the required course list and six from the elective course list—see below).
- No course may count if taken pass/fail or audited.
1) Required Courses—take a minimum of six credits from the following:
2) Elective Courses—take six credits:NOTE: Elective courses change each semester.
300 Dineen Hall | 950 Irving Avenue
SU College of Law, Syracuse NY 13244
SPL@syr.edu | 315.443.2284